Wednesday, February 4, 2009

seems like wednesdays are the only days i have time to post anymore.

worked about 15 1/2 hours yesterday. that was fun. tuesdays are always long days. tuesday late afternoon/early evening is about my least favorite time of the week, because it's then that i realize that despite my thousand phone calls and event coverage, we still have so much blank space to fill.

this past work week was especially frustrating due to clay county deciding to take a break from doing anything exciting or making news. it's not fun looking at what you have for the week's stories and realizing how little room it will take up on 24 pages. to top it off, the only stories i was able to write on required saturday/sunday coverage and non-stop monday phone calls. meaning it was all but impossible to work ahead, and cemented the now certain weekly tradition of near-midnight bonding with darren over half-empty (yes, half-empty) pages.

i've been meaning to mention this since it happened, but kept forgetting:
one of the old lady friends i made while covering a couple of stories in my early weeks at the paper, karen roback, died a couple of weeks ago. i found out when her obituary was sent in. the first time i talked to her was at a christmas event at the clay county museum, where she talked to me about the tradition and the various activities they do. the second, and last, time i saw karen was at a chirstmas-sing-along at a church in inland. she came up to me and reminded me who she was, told me the christmas story turned out well and thanked me for quoting her accurately, because in the past people had mis-quoted her. then we talked about her speaking german (she sang a song in german during the event) and how learning things with music is much easier. just kind of weird to read the obituary of someone you had talked to a few times, and was one of the few familiar faces for me during the first couple of weeks.

plus side - bowling again tonight. the fox hollow studs are quickly climbing the standings. we should take over second place tonight. i've decided to wear my ghanaian shirt when i bowl from now on. it just seems like a good bowling image and it's nice and loose. and i'm gonna roll with the kevin ball tonight, too.

oh, directv's hooked up, now. so i've got my sportscenter to wake up to and my conan to pass out to. and my free showtime and whatever else in between. and i have mlb network, so once the baseball season starts, that'll be on 24/7.

2 comments:

  1. I know this is a late post, but i wanted you to know that i was very worries about you (cause you didn't have cable. I don't know how anyone can handle NOT having it! I was DIE) Anyways, gald to hear you got it now. I'm not worried anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are alot of mistypes in that post... i just woke up.... i'm sorry

    ReplyDelete