Thursday, January 15, 2009

goodbye substitute teaching, hello substitute bowling

around 8:30, 9:00 last night i considered going to the bowling alley. wednesday is men's league, i thought i might try to go get on a sub list in case anyone couldn't make it. i decided that was too ambitious for me, and instead resigned to watching "it's always sunny in philadelphia" episodes.
roughly 20 minutes later, however, i got a call from an unknown, sutton number. go figure, it was kelly from clay bowl wondering if i wanted to fill in for a team. haha. time to show sutton what a childhood of candle-pin bowling in maine can do.

first thing that needed to be done was to find "kevin." he was just sitting on the rack, waiting for me. unstoppable, now. then i met my team, which was formed by a couple guys who own/operate the fox hollow motel/golf course/gym in town. and after a couple practice shots to get the rust off my footwork, me, kevin, my amber boch and the 'fox hollow studs' were ready to kick some geezer ass.

aside from the first frame strikes and the double-strike tenth frames, i underperformed. in the three games, i averaged a 137. i'm better than that. still, we played well enough to win by 4 pins overall, despite having one player who averaged about a 102.

they took my number in case they need me again. hopefully they do. it's fun to get my big lebowski on. might try switching to white russians next time, see if that'll work for me. or bring a dog that has papers. or a handgun in case someone steps over the line (smokey..) alright, enough references..

1 comment:

  1. Kris, I'm loving this narrative style of yours. This one. The short, um, sentences. And stuff. Like I said. Loving it. Also the old ladies. Your half-hour friends. So true. They can talk. Just that we never bothered to listen before. It's not all bad. Will be in your first and best novel. No doubt. Drink some juice sometimes. Not all High Lifes. Juice. Good for you. Helps your aim. With guns. And bowling balls. -- Glenn

    ReplyDelete